Monday, May 2, 2011

My house is your house

Oh man, there's nothing quite like it, nothing more enjoyable than looking up from the decks and seeing the room moving (or some of it at least), the heads nodding, the feet tapping, the occasional moment of sing-a-long and all the time knowing the next tracks even better than this one!

Those of you that know me, will also know I'm as infrequent a feature out and about DJ'ing as it gets - three times in three years is more like retirement than a blossoming career - but somehow it makes it all the more enjoyable when you do get to share the music face to face. You'll also know I'm by no means the finest DJ in the world, so it's always a chance for me to watch and learn without becoming one of those DJ booth stalkers, who stand and stare just a little bit too intensely! So, this weekend was especially exciting for me to be out and playing at Betty's here in Wellington alongside some old and new friends, chewing the fat over versions of software, controllers, tunes in progress and music we're into - as geeky as that sounds, but honestly the other half's not that interested in filters, and loops.

As can always be expected there was the usual technical land mines to negotiate, like having to upgrade my old Traktor Pro to allow me to use the X1. Thankfully with Dylan and Vernon's know-how this wasn't a big deal. Then there were the challenges of being faced with a new mixer layout (my first go on a Allen & Heath) and my first experience with an X1 Kontroller. On the upside it was more than enough to rid me of the post Royal Wedding haze I'd been suffering from through the day, then it was a case of grabbing the tunes I'd planned I'd be playing from S4 and loading them into Pro, checking as many beat grids as I could before heading down there to catch Stereotypes Damon getting things going with his ever excellent sounds. A less than perfect switch from his  CDJ's to me wasn't how I imagined the start of things would be, but a few tracks in and with the VDJ visuals swirling around the room things felt good.

Amazing how fast time goes when you're up there, and you've really got to take a moment to look around  - I'm sure Ferris Bueller said that originally (something I didn't really do enough of previously if I'm honest - too focused on not fucking up I guess). For my part I think a couple of Jaidene Veda tracks, a couple from Andre Crom's OFF Recordings and Dustpan releases were the ones that really got the heads and feet moving, but I think the crowd liked the set?

Also a first run out for the TMA-1's, which were spot on, great sound, minimised the monitors noise perfectly, and no sweaty ears! What more can you ask for.

A few post set beers and some more DJ chat wrapped the night up in fine style for me while Dilby and Vernon went back to back serving up some luscious tech deepness. What a great night, a top bar too, one with the right vibe for real house - room to move, room to sit back and soak it up, good drinks, a venue and night Wellington can really be proud of - there's not enough house in this place, so if you're looking for a night out towards the end of the month and like your house deep and techy too, you'd do worse than find out when the next Mi Case Su Casa is on!

Cheers guys! Keep the world spinning!

Links

No comments:

Post a Comment