Wednesday, April 13, 2011

One week with... Fred Everything

Following up the previous 'One week with' feature was always going to be hard - unless of course you're the busiest man in house music! Lazy Days owner and globe trotting, charity organising, Taco loving Fred Everything shares one week of his schedule with us... it ain't all flight upgrades and big parties - well almost not all, there's a fair bit of business to do in amongst it all too - check out how the first week of April was from Fred.

Monday March 28th:
Lots to catch up on today. I was in Southern California over weekend, playing in Los Angeles on Friday for the first Departure party at Vanguard in Hollywood with Chuck Love and Mr V. The party was great! Over 1000 happy dancers attended. Quick stop to see my girlfriend's family in San Diego and a long drive back to San Francisco, thanks to my girlfriend who took care of the road trip! Up early, time to upload the 5 Years of Lazy Days compilation on to my digital distributor as well as the 3 main sites that I handle myself. This is our first full length so it requires extra time to make sure no mistake is done. Filling Metadata and uploading tracks is not my favorite task but, somebody's gotta do it. 2 for 1 today as I also have to upload Kruse & Nuernberg's new release on Lazy Days. I discuss an exclusive pre-release and banner placement for this release with Traxsource I'm also sending the next EP, Lance DeSardi, to mastering and get some artwork done by my designer Nerdski for a Vinyl Only release. A few conversations on the phone with my friend Chris Lum to coordinate our Beats for Japan, Benefit for the Tsunami, party this Sunday in San Francisco. Catch up on my favorite Political show on HBO, Real Time with Bill Maher, and it's time to get some rest.

Five Years Of Lazy Days - Mixed by Fred Everything (Preview Clips) by Kahua Music

Tuesday March 29th:
Up early again, a few label things to take care off and quick chat to my agent about future dates for the current tour. I'm taking 90 minutes for an online Photoshop class, something I've been wanting to do for a long time now and working on the DJ Schedule for the Benefit on Sunday. Finally able to get back in the studio today. I have to finish an edit of a remix that Matthias Vogt from MotorCity Soul did for  my Frederico Todos EP on Urban Torque. Matthias mix is a beauty but very minimal on the rhythm section so I just added some of my original beats on it and edited a few sections, nothing complicated. Bike ride to the gym for my first outdoor swim in 2 weeks. It's been raining for the past 2 weeks and it's finally sunny, yet chilly. Home made tacos and red wine for dinner with the girlfriend. Add Seinfeld re-runs on TV and I feel at home! Finish the night by finding some cheap Keith Haring and Kraftwerk books on Amazon as well as Talking Heads DVD. Late night search for fonts and art direction for the next lazy days release and going to bed a bit too late today! 

Wednesday March 30th:
Today I'm checking some artwork, label copy and masters for my forthcoming EP on Urban Torque. Catching up with promos and email replies. Researching a lot of charity organizations for our benefit for Japan on Sunday. We are trying to avoid donating to a large organization with big overheads, and go straight to the source to help people directly. I have a deep connection with Japan. My friends there have become more of an extended family to me so It was a no brainer to organize something to help this beautiful country. Received my records for the anniversary release! They look great. I made a 12" and a 10" with the remixes. In the same package, I got the vinyls of my remixes of Dennis Ferrer "Dem People Go". I love to receive my records. I meet up with Garwin from Om Records to give him some of the vinyls to sell online on their website. Today I finally finish and send my remixes for AtJazz's "For Real" that I've been procrastinating on for a few weeks now. The track was originally released on Innervision but AtJazz is now releasing it on his own label. The original is a favorite of mine so the pressure was on! More errands, bank, paying rent…fun stuff...then time to go to the swimming pool for an hour. It's a very nice day today. One of those glorious SF days! Cooking tonight and taking it easy for an early night to bed. 

Thursday March 31st:
Today I'm checking a bonus track from Atnarko for his forthcoming EP on Lazy Days. Just getting the confirmation that Pezzner will be remixing this one.  Also checking Lance DeSardi's masters that I just received from Montreal. Sending Invoices, paying bills and  working on our benefit  party line up. Talking to Om Records about a video we have to do for Native Instruments showcasing Traktor. I also have to organize a promotional video for my upcoming Loopmasters Sample pack out in April. Checking out Venue for party Sunday with my good friend and partner in this party, Chris Lum. We just got a confirmation for Thievery Corp as well as food and live painting. The place is called Public Works and is an amazing venue.  I am so looking forward to this event. Spend most of the rest of the day playing with new tracks at home and getting ready for the weekend.


Fred Everything - Buzzin Fly Radio Show - 13.01.2011 by fredeverything

Friday April 1st:
Up early. I do a quick interview with Theymakemusic.com as well as a Skype interview for Beatport's blog, Beatportal. Looking at flight options for the end of April in Chicago and Canada. Today is another amazing day in SF, good day for an afternoon swim! It's also great because I get the confirmation that I will be playing at Coachella festival once again! The festival is in 2 weeks so have to get organized on that very quick.Lots and lots of last minute planning for the party last minute party Sunday. Shopping for tracks, checking promos and mixing at home.


Saturday April 2nd:
Late start, brunch at a neighborhood joint. Flight to Mexico city via LA. Both flights upgraded to business. Finished reading Motorcycle Diary by David Byrne and also the new Sound on Sound and Wax Poetics. I'm also checking out an online video interview with the Idjust Boys and some DVDs of Dieudonné, a french comedian. Get to Mexico City quite late. Quick Tacos snack and off to the club which is also a restaurant and a Hookah bar. It's very intimate and a little bit intimidating to have everyone in your face. Cameras are everywhere, people are filming non-stop. Even had to tell some people to stop as I had their camera light in my face! It doesn't take too long that the vibe warms up and let loose. I test them out, they seem to be open minded. 


I end up playing a mix of Deep chuggin house with my usual blends of vocals and a even a little Techno. They're definitely up for it! People are having a good time. I'm finishing with some disco Bohannon, Cymande and Crazy P's remix of Friday on the Lazy Days anniversary release. Last record was Herbie Hancock Stars in your eyes. Somebody tells me this track was sent by gods! I couldn't agree more. Then it' the Kodak moments and signature session.  Somebody even gave me a friendship bracelet!I hadn't had that much love at a gig in a while. Back to the hotel with no TV remote (sorry, hotel full!?) and no internet. Guess it's time to get some rest! 

Sunday April 3rd:
Mexican people are nice but… they are late! 45 minutes late for the airport, no time for breakfast. Flight upgraded to business once again (Thx United) so I can eat and sleep on flight.Buying new earphones so I can listen to 6th Borough Album on Delusions of Grandeur. The album takes me back to the days where people would actually make house albums like Nuphonic and Paper. Stupid Jack Black movie puts me to sleep and get woken up to crazy turbulence's! I'm usually a good flyer but I'm not feeling it today! So happy to land in SF, bird shower at airport and cab straight to the venue where we are having our Beats 4 Japan party. 


I get texts from my girlfriend who does the door and my partner in the party, Chris Lum that the place is going off! I walk into a rave sauna, the place is packed and it looks like I landed in SF in the 90s. I catch the tail set of Rob from Thievery Corporation is playing a mix of house and reggae. Then Miguel Migs is on and sets the place on fire with a slow burning house set. I start at 7 and the energy level in the place is thick! Sunlight comes through the (sunroof) so for once we can see everyone in the place. All smiles and hands in the air.. A happy Barclay (ClaudeVonStroke) shows up for his bombastic set at 8pm. He's a true favorite here and you can tell! Mark Farina comes on with his jacking beats at 9 and we have SF veterans David Harness and Chris Lum to close the party with class! Words can't explain the feeling I got from putting this event together (in less than 2 weeks) with my friends. We raised more than $30,000 for the Tsunami relief in Japan. Words can't express how good I'm feeling! Late night Burrito and some well deserved sleep!

What a week! Off to Hawaii on Wednesday for a week holiday and DJ on Friday in Honolulu. Then we're off to the Desert for Coachella 2011 for a second year in the Heineken Dome. Welcome to the best years of my life!

Links:
Fred Everything Soundcloud
Lazy Days Recordings Website
Facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment