Thursday, September 16, 2010

If you could listen to one last tune...


As you all know I don't much care for top tens, fives and all that. But I get asked it all the time, and have even asked similar questions in interviews of late. If you could only listen to one last tune what would it be?

My stock answer is, "Oh there's so many I couldn't possibly choose!". And in part that's true, but like all of us there's tunes that tie me to a time and a place - a great night out, that moment I needing lifting up or 
just wanted to get lost in the moment. And every time I hear them I'm back there in a moment.






























Back in 2001 I was in Ibiza for my second time, I knew the ropes a little, the music had caught my imagination and I spent many a lazy early evening chilling down by Cafe Del Mar listening to the legendary Jose Padilla bring the sun down with a scary precision. Next door one way Phil Mison was doing the business and down at Mambo Pete Tong was working his groove (more than likely) - for me it was the pinnacle of perfect, beer in hand soaking it all up.

Amongst the hedonistic nights that were on the brink of being more about packaged tourism than the spirit of the music and the cerveza soak lads on tour it's still hearing this tune for the very first time that send shivers up my spine, turns the heat of San Antonio's setting sun onto my face and bring back the magic.




 Live performance recorded at Paradiso

Lou Rhodes, then part of Lamb, is without doubt one of those rare voices that the mass marketing music makers seek out these days and promote to death. But the Manchester duo (Lou and Andy Barlow) made it big with this tune and Gorecki then faded like the Ibiza sunset. Despite a reunion at the Big Chill Festival in 2009 and some 7 tour dates that followed.

But, for me, it does matter, when this tune drifts across the room it has me hypnotised for the duration.

Here's the Original version in all it's glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment