Thursday, August 5, 2010

Trouble brewing

It's always the simple pleasures in life that make it tick along for me. I've always tried to treat people as I'd like to be treated by them - call it "karma" is you like. But, as you get older little things start to wind me up no end, and whilst I'd be the first to admit some of them are so trivial I'll never mention them here one in particular is driving me crazy.

Now I do like a good brew!
In my 'real world job' I spend a lot of time in meetings, a fair amount of the time I've traveled long and far to be there on their request, and all too often the time spent is not yet built into an estimate.

For me the simple courtesy of being offered a cuppa or a glass of water is part and parcel of the whole meeting experience. It gives your guest a chance to settle, prepare their thoughts, have some chat - get into things. I am continually stunned here in NZ how many people just skip straight past it and dive into business - WTF!
Like yesterday, got off a plane, grabbed a hire car, drove to a meeting, found the place, met the folks, sit down... nothing! No tea, no "how was the trip?", no "can I get you a water or something?" - nadda!

And it's not the first time it's happened either - bloody winds me up! So, if, for some reason we get the chance to sit down and chew the fat about things one day, be warned, I expect a cuppa - I'd be offering you one if you were to come to my office!

No comments:

Post a Comment