Thursday, March 1, 2012

DJ's that could save your life: Masters at Work


I think you'd be hard pushed to find a deep house fan, or perhaps even just a house fan that doesn't own a 12" by, has been inspired by, hasn't played their music and who wouldn't still pay to hear two of the most influential DJ/Producers of the last 20 years - Master at Work!



It's fitting in the 20th year I've been messing around with house that it's their 20th year too (see we have so much in common!). When untitledmusic started out I knew nothing about who were the real house legends to be and the vinyl I bought back then proves it!  -  rave was just fading away (which will explain all those dodgy XL Records) and Oakenfold was changing the face of indie music with the Happy Mondays, but out of New York came 'Little' Louie Vega and Kenny 'Dope' Gonzalez - and I've been a fan ever since!




The pair who at one time were a mainstay of my sets with their MAW work and under the aliases of Kenlou and Nuyorican Soul haven't been as prolific in recent years (I say that on my own experience and there's bound to be some crazed fans out there that know otherwise), but when they turned up on the Red Bull Academy lecture series it rekindled the love I have for their work. I'll say now I forgive them for remixing some shocking tracks, Simply Red being one of them!




Having started out playing reggae and hip hop they found house music in 85 as the Chicago sound spread around the world. In 91 the pair hooked up and the rest is history! But freshly inspired by this great interview / lecture I'm off to dig around in the record bags under my desk and see what other gems I can being back to life!



Links
Resident Advisor

No comments:

Post a Comment